If you’re install SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014 on Windows 10 and you can’t start the services. When you’re connecting to server with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and see the error message as below.
Cannot connect to server name with addition information:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.
This server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipers Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2) – The system cannot find the file specified.
This problem occurred because SQL Server service is not running, you have to manually start the service. This is how you can fix the problem.
1. Open Run by pressing Windows key + R or go to Start > All apps > Windows System > Run. The run windows will appear.
2. Type command “service.msc” in the text box and you’ll see the services windows with list of services name.
3. Scroll down to SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) then right click on this item and select start to start the service.
Or you can right click and choose “Properties” to see the status of SQL server. If you see service status: stopped. You can choose automatic startup type and click start to start the service.
4. Wait a second for the service to start.
5. Now you can close the services windows and try to connect again.